Wat Rajpradit, located in Bangkok, is one of the first-grade royal Buddhist temples in Thailand.
According to a tradition, three royal Buddhist temples shall be constructed in Thailand as each dynasty
built its capital. As there had been only two royal temples in Bangkok, in 1864, Wat Rajpradit was built
by the order of King Rama IV. The temple was also the first one constructed for the sect which was
established by the king. King Rama IV had a progressive spirit and had been a monk for many years before
his accession to the throne, the king established the sect to modernize the Buddhism in Thailand. Until
nowadays the members of the royal family have visited the temple for worshipping, in 2010, a restoration
work of the temple buildings began funded by the Crown Property Bureau.
The ordination hall of Wat Rajpradit has hinged double doors on its entrances and windows. The doors
feature panels decorated mother-of-pearl inlay with underpainting and colored lacquer maki-e. Over 150
years have passed since establishment of the temple, exfoliation of shells and deterioration of lacquer
film occurred. Especially since the style of patterns of mother-of-pearl inlay with underpainting looks
like Japanese, in 2012, The Institute was requested to provide technical support for the restoration of
the panels by the Fine Arts Department, the Ministry of Culture of Thailand. The Institute has been
studying about the conservation and restoration of cultural properties in Thailand jointly with the
Department since 1992.
Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties